Friday, April 20, 2018

Small Victories

A friend, who also happens to be a teacher, has recently had a serious decision to make - to walk out or to walk in.  It has been a gut wrenching decision for my friend to make, and it is not one that I relish.  While my friend's circumstances are very different from mine, they speak to my heart as an educator.  What we do for each and every student takes a tole on the heart and body, and like my friend I often find that I lose myself in the weeds of tasks and duties at times.  I don't think I am alone in this; most educators get mired in the muck at times.  We lose sight of our vision or mission, especially when we encounter struggle.  So, it is nice when small things seem to catch our attention.  Maybe it is that moment when a student with an IEP is moved to itinerant status or when a teacher tweets about a successful lesson.  These small victories matter; they can refocus us onto what really matters - the growth of students and staff in our buildings.  Recently, this was highlighted in my recent reflection around an inquiry cycle with a team of English language arts teachers.  Before I thoroughly studied the data we had collected about student performance, my gut interpretation of anecdotal evidence indicated that our work to improve instruction had not been effective.  However, the Star360 data we reviewed indicated that students had improved in reading comprehension since the fall.  The growth was not as consistent as I had hoped, but six of seven students scored high enough to move out of the urgent intervention zone during some point in the spring.  This is definitely a small victory to celebrate, particularly when I reflect on where these students started.  First, how does this affect me as a leader?  Well, it reminds me that I must celebrate the small victories for teachers because they are often too busy to do so.  Second, it reminds me that first impressions of data are not always accurate.  Third, my focus can be on success or on what is not going well.  Which of these outlooks is going to help me to be the most effective educator and principal?  Well, positive thinking should of course!  Maybe the key to focusing on the positive is public affirmation of the small victories.  By doing so, we honor each step in the right and positive direction.  And, that is definitely the direction in which we will want to get stuck!

2 comments:

Unknown said...


4.2 Ensure continual improvement for students, teachers, and the organization
You may feel like students haven't moved as quickly as you'd like, but you are keeping your eye on ALL the data, ensuring that all students have the opportunity to demonstrate how they've grown.
10.1 Motivates and encourages others to achieve strategic goals
I also really appreciate the fact that your teachers are committed to this work, which is due in no small measure to your support.

The reflective practice of this blog demonstrates how committed you are, too, to your own growth. You clearly work diligently to support both students and teachers.

Anonymous said...

Natalie,

You are such a powerful advocate for our profession, and your pledge to focus on the positive most certainly provides another layer of support for teachers (1.1, 1.2). Your positive outlook is an inspiration to me also, especially when it seems that we are “in the weeds.” I am excited to hear about the success of the teachers and students impacted by your CRA work as well. Being able to use student achievement data in making instructional decisions is one of your strengths (4.0), and I know that your support of these teachers in this effort has been invaluable.