Thursday, April 5, 2018

A Commitment, Not A Promise

In a past Radical Candor podcast, Laraway and Scott (n.d.) discussed the difference between obtaining a commitment versus a promise from your boss when it comes to scheduling time for a feedback session.  When I first heard their explanation of the difference between the two, I sat back and had a "hmmm" moment.  What seemed like semantics really is not.  When you make a commitment, there is an extra layer of onus that you place on yourself to complete the task or support the work.  A promise is simply words.  If you choose to, you can slip out of a promise.  There is not set deadline or job to be done.  In essence, a promise is completely bound by your word, but a commitment... Now that is completely bound by your actions.

So, in reflection I thought about the commitments I have made and want to make as a school administrator.  Some of them were placed upon me while others were of my choosing, but in the end I am honor bound to fulfill every commitment to the best of my ability.  However, there is one promise that I want to "re-commit" to, and it is all around the "10 Things Challenge." In a previous post, I spoke about the ten things educators should say more often.  The phrases above are the promises I make to demonstrate my vision for education and leadership - to notice and respond in love.

However, if I am to move beyond these words, beyond just the promise, I felt I needed to make a serious commitment to action.  It was with a seeking spirit that I encountered the meme below and in turn had another moment of clarity.  Here were solid commitments to back up the promises I was making to my school family!  And, this is what I am challenging myself to do as our school moves into what I believe is the toughest part of the school year for students and teachers.  


So, everyday I am committing to do as many of these things as I can.  Just imagine how my focus will change because I am choosing to ruminate on the positive rather than the hectic pace of the testing season, and imagine how my teachers' outlooks may change if they see me modeling and encouraging supportive and inspiring conversation.  I truly believe a leader's behavior,  or his or her words and actions, truly set the tone for the end of year.  In fact, a leader's outlook can be characterized in these last months; it can be a powerful force towards love or towards the minutia of tasks.  So in this space and time, I plan to commit to love - one student and teacher at a time.   Do you plan to join me?

Reference
Scott, K. & Laraway, R. (n.d.). How to get feedback from your boss [Audio podcast]. Retrieved from
https://www.radicalcandor.com/blog/podcast-episode-7/

2 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

Natalie,

I appreciate the differences that you present between commitments and promises (especially those regarding words versus actions), as well as your ability to reflect on how your practices can best impact teachers and students (8.2). Your connection to your core values is also powerful as it demonstrates your ability to focus on resilience, through noticing and responding in love, during such a stressful time of year (2.0). You continue to be a model of perseverance for our leadership team and our teachers (9.2). I am fortunate to be learning alongside you and look forward to joining you in the implementation of the challenge!